Valley of Flowers is one of the most beautiful natural wonder. It changes very rapidly with time. So it is very important to know the best time to visit Valley of Flowers. At time people asks about going to Valley of Flowers in January. It seems funny for them who know that this is not the right time to visit Valley of Flowers.
Valley of Flowers is snow clad for most of the year and is accessible only from June to September. It means we have only four months in a year to visit Valley of Flowers. It means nature has only four months to complete its cycle at Valley of Flowers. Snow starts melting in April and the seeds put down by plants last year start germinating. By June first week when Valley of Flowers is opened for public you see some small plants and very few flowers. As time passes more and more variety comes and you see different colors of flowers and the valley.
We can divide the total period of four months in to five parts.
Valley of Flowers in June:
This is the time when you see very less number of flowers and lot of glaciers. These glaciers were responsible for floods in Uttrakhand. The floods occurred on 17th June, 2013. The glaciers melted heavily due to rains and caused massive damage. If you want to see lot of flowers in the valley, June is not the right time to visit. Moreover June is holiday season in India and therefore the peak season for Hemkund Sahib Pilgrims and therefore the base camp village is too much crowded by Sikh Pilgrims. Even the trek between Govindghat and Ghangaria is filled up with lot of people, ponies and porters.
Positive points in going to Valley of Flowers in June:
- It rains very less in June and so there is no disturbance while trekking. There are fewer landslides on your road journey between Haridwar and Govindghat.
- If you are fond of seeing lot of Glaciers and snow it is a good time to visit the Valley of Flowers.
Negative points in going to Valley of Flowers in June:
- Most important on is that there are very less number of flowers.
- The cost of hotel is also is higher due to high demand at Ghangaria. Vehicle cost is also high as it is peak time for Char Dham.
Our call whether this is the best time to visit Valley of Flowers ? : No.
Valley of Flowers in July First Half:
By July 1 half the monsoon starts in northern India. The huge glaciers you saw in the month of June melts to half of its original size but still you can see lot of glaciers on the banks of river Pushpawati and small torrents. Sometimes it also happens that these small torrents are semi frozen that is they cannot be walked over and neither a temporary bridge can be made over it. So you may get stuck at some point in the middle of the valley and from their you may not go further. But definitely you will see huge colonies of Golden Lily, Anemone Tetrasepla and Geraniums. You will also see a very beautiful and very rear flower called ladies slipper Orchid. But it is so rare that you won’t spot it unless you know it’s location. We give 7/10 points to this period.
Positive points in going to Valley of Flowers during July first half
- During this time you can see lot of flowers along with glaciers. So it is good time for people want to see some glaciers as well as flowers .
- Since the holiday season in northern India is over by 30th of June the peak season for Hemkund Sahib is also over by 30th of June. So Ghangaria village is less crowded as compared to June month.
Negative points in going to Valley of Flowers during July first half
Our call whether this is the best time to visit Valley of Flowers ? : 7/10 Points
Following are some of the pictures taken in the month of July first half.
Valley of Flowers from second half of July to first half of August.
During this time the Valley of Flowers is in its full-bloom. You will see maximum number of flowers and some small glaciers till July end. By maximum number of flowers we mean maximum in terms of variety and quantity both. During this one-month also the valley changes very rapidly. The variety of flowers which is available during third week of July may not be available in August 1 week. But all in all the total number of flowers is maximum during this time. For example in third week of July you will see a good number of geraniums it paints the valley in violet colour but by second week of August the geraniums mature and the valley is filled by Impatians Davendre. It paints the valley in pink colour. So you can say the valley changes colour almost every day due to change in the variety of flowers or came in the leaves colour or due to change in weather (for eight months valley is full of snow and remains white in colour). We have seen the valley almost every day of four months in which it is accessible. One important thing that most of the people are more concerned about going to Valley of Flowers and gives less to preference to Hemkund Sahib. But we tell you that there are some beautiful flowers which are available at Hemkund Sahib and not even in Valley of Flowers as there is a height in defence of about 1000 m in valley and Hemkund Sahib. You can see Bistorta Affinis, Braham Kamals and Blue Poppies at Hemkund Sahib. You can see some of the pictures of Valley of Flowers during mid July to mid August below.
Positive points in going to Valley of Flowers during this time.
- This is the time when Valley of Flowers it in its full bloom and you see maximum number of flowers. Moreover it is not the peak time for Pilgrims going to Hemkund Sahib so village Ghangaria is not so crowded. However during in recent years we have seen increase in the number of visitors to the Valley of Flowers.
Negative points in going to the Valley of Flowers during this time.
- This is peak monsoon time and in this area lot of landslides occurs during this time. These landslides sometimes may disturb your itinerary and you may need an extra day to complete your trip.
Our call whether this is the best time to visit Valley of Flowers ? : Yes 9/10 Points
Valley of Flowers in August second half.
During this time the flowers get converted into seeds slowly but still you can see a good number of flowers and the shade of the valley starts changing from lush green colour to yellowish green colour. You can see some berries and flowers as well. Most of the glaciers melt by this time. You can see some of the pictures of Valley of Flowers in August below.
Our call whether this is the best time to visit Valley of Flowers ? : 6/10 Points
Valley of Flowers in September.
This is the time when most of the flowers are matured and you see more berries than flowers. You can see some flowers at Hemkund Sahib and they are really very beautiful we have put some pictures taken on 16th September 2012 at Hemkund Sahib. This is not the best time to see flowers in the valley but during this time generally the sky is clear and the peaks are snowclad again. You can see some of the pictures taken by us during September.
Positive points in going to Valley of Flowers during this time.
- You will see very less number of tourists and generally Ghangaria is deserted.
- It generally does not rain in this period.
Negative points in going to Valley of Flowers during this time.
- During this time you will see very less number of flowers.
- You will not see glaciers also as they are all melted by this time .
But overall the Valley of Flowers and surrounding areas are so beautiful that they are even worth visiting during September and you can see vertical peaks, beautiful waterfalls and rivers.